January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A craZy busy weekend

I can't believe it's only Tuesday. Seriously, it feels like it should at least be Thursday. Maybe I feel this way because while my weekend was enjoyable, it was busy.

Wednesday my vocal teacher asked me to get a double quartet together to learn a piece for Sunday evening. Sunday evening was The National Day of Prayer for Habitat for Humanity. The local "chapter" (I don't know what else to call it) held their services at a church in Provo, The Community of Christ. I've performed there multiple times before so I was up for the challenge. Not only did I miraculously get 7 other people who were available and willing to sing Sunday, we were some how able to learn a Duke Ellington piece titled, "Aint But the One". It's an upbeat jazzy piece. Serena asked us to sing it (my vocal teacher). She also asked me to sing a solo, "The Lord's Prayer". What's even more miraculous than finding 7 people and learning a song none of us knew is that I've come down with a nasty cold and cough. I didn't know if I was going to be able to sing so I had Travis give me a priesthood blessing - and I was able to sing without having any cough attacks during my solo and the group number. What a blessing!!! I'm so grateful!

I was fed some very kind compliments after the service that I'd like to share. Not because I want to flaunt them but because I tend to tear myself a part. I'm really trying to listen to compliments more (the sincere ones) and take them to heart. It's important that I do this.

*After finishing "The Lord's Prayer" the President of the local Habitat for Humanity stood and said, "Adrienne, if I had closed my eyes and the person sitting next me had told me an angel was singing, I would have believed them."

*After the service ended (my solo was at the beginning of the service) a woman came up to me and thanked me for my interpretation of the piece. She said, "That was exactly what I needed to hear right now. Thank you." I, of course hugged her and told her it was an honor to be a part of the program.

*After the service another woman came up to me and said, "I have done that song many times so I am sincere when I say you sang it beautifully. You're voice is so clear, especially on the high notes."

*After the service ended the same man who gave such kind remarks after I sat down came and shook my hand and told me, "I love your voice." He then asked me if I'm attending UVU (the program said all students in the double quartet were UVU students and I sang with the double quartet). I told him I was currently attending UVU. He said, "Oh, I work at UVU. I'm one of the Vice Presidents of the University. At this point I just stared at him and some how muttered, "Well, if you're ever in need of musical numbers for any of your meetings, please look me up." and I shook his hand. Hopefully he will. I need all the performing opportunities I can get!

Then yesterday, Monday, September 19th, I had another performance at the Orem Public Library. The Utah Lyric Opera had a workshop there and I put my name on their list because I want to get as much experience performing as possible. Plus, these people are professional performers. I'm certain they have plenty they could work with me on. Yet again, I was sick yesterday. Even worse than Sunday. I tried to run through my piece and couldn't finish it. I tried twice and it wasn't pretty. I was freaking out because I had to pay to participate in this workshop. Not only that but I WANTED to gain the experience and get feedback on things. So, I asked Trav to give me another priesthood blessing, specifically asking Heavenly Father to allow me to sing in a healthy manner and be able to complete my song. Not only did I finish the song I prepared, they asked me to sing a second piece (I was completely caught off guard) and I was able to finish that one as well. Again, what a blessing!

*After the workshop ended, the man who was working with us, Dr. Isaac Hurtado (google him. His credentials are crazy!) came up to me and said, "Adrienne, I absolutely love your voice." That may not sound like a big deal but after you look him up and see what he's done, professionally, it may mean more. He's a professional opera singer (my dream). I could only say, "Thank you for working with me. I enjoyed tonight's workshop."

*After everyone left (I tried to go around and talk with the other performers in the workshop) a woman who works at the library came up to me and said, "What's your name?" So, I told her. She said, "I overheard you telling another woman that you're thinking of holding your recital here at the Library. Do you think you will?" To which I said, "Yes. I'd really like to." She said, "Okay, so your name is Adrienne Braun. I'm going to make sure I'm here the night of your recital. I was working at the front desk on the other side of the building and couldn't help but try to watch and listen while you were up singing. I loved your pieces. You have such a clear, powerful voice." -Isn't that cool??!?

*Another woman came up to me last night and asked who I study with. She was wondering because she has some jaw and mouth tension when she sings and was wondering if I ever struggled with that in the past. I told her I had but that I didn't know how bad it was because I was oblivious to everything when I came back to school and started studying music. I told her the best person to ask would be my vocal teacher, Serena. The woman took Serena's information and then said, "I'm a soprano too, but I'm studying at BYU with so-and-so (don't remember who she said). I really struggle with tension, especially on my high notes. How do you sing so high without tension?" To which I said, "Contact my vocal teacher. Even if you only have one session with her you'll walk away a better singer." It's so true too! Serena's amazing.

I know it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn. I don't mean to come off that way. I'm just so relieved it went as well as it did. Both nights! I'm so grateful for the power of the Priesthood on earth. I'm so grateful Travis is worthy to hold the priesthood and to give me blessings in my hours of need. I couldn't have done the last few days had it not been for those blessings. The kind feedback only proves that the blessings really did work. I'm so, so grateful.

However, today I sound more like a man. My voice is scratchy, I've got mucus that I can't, for the life of me, cough up, and I'm coughing my flippin' head off. Uhg. I'm so glad this weekend has come and gone. I'm so grateful things were successful.

above and beyond the performing, Travis and I bought a our very first couch set/sectional. It RoCkS!! Seriously, it's enormous! We absolutely love it. It has a very modern, contemporary feel to it all while being incredibly comfortable and inviting. What's even better is my ENTIRE family can fit on the sucker. I'm not kidding, it's HUGE. It looks awesome downstairs in the living room.

But with new furniture comes the cleaning, the dusting, and the rearranging. So, I spent quite some time doing said items. Our room is nearly dust free now. That's a wonderful feeling considering I haven't dusted in like..oh, eight months or more. It was sick. I had dust balls everywhere. No joke. Eww.

Well, I need to get back to my homework. I'm trying not to drown but can't seem to keep my head above water. You'd think I wouldn't be as swamped since I quit my job last month. Nope, not the case. I'm super, super busy. But it's a good busy, I guess. So long as I can keep up with my assignments. :s

Toodles.

PS Travis is a hotty. Yum.

No comments: