January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Thursday, September 15, 2011

30 minutes

and then I need to take off.

Hm, how do I accurately describe my first few weeks of school? I don't think I can. It's been awful. I have been pulled in what feels like every direction. I have the opportunity to learn music for the UVU Wind Symphony as well as UVU Orchestra. However, I don't think I'm going to do it. I am really trying to focus on my recital (tentatively scheduled for December 6th - used to be in November, not anymore) rather than stretch myself incredibly thin.

I also dropped all my choir classes. I think I'm done with that stage in my life. I'm ready to move on to bigger things. I am, however, in a community choir with my mom and Ashley. That's been fun..I guess. I don't know what's gotten into me but I'm just NOT enjoying choir anymore. Uhg.

I had a rough week last week but things are looking up. I'm slowly deleting classes/credit hours and it's feeling marvelous. I think I'm at 15 or 16 credits now. Next semester I'm hoping to student teach. My goal is to student teach at the same school Travis teaches at. It would be great because then we could car pool to work and have lunch together. Travis wouldn't be my cooperating teacher (that's not allowed, for good reason too.) but it would still be quite the experience working together. We've never done that before. ;)

What else can I ramble about? Oh, Kolton is doing well. He was sick for about a week or so and sent us letters expressing his misery and desire to "punch [his] companion in the face". Ha! He also said he has been thinking about "punching his 'investigator' in the face" too. His "investigator" is his Spanish teacher, so Kolton has spent more time with him than the 10 or so minutes it takes to meet with an "investigator".

Sounds like he's having a lovely time, if you ask me. We heard from him today and he sounds MUCH better. He's not sick anymore, thank goodness. But he's anxious to get out to Mexico and dive into the work out there. He'll be great, I just know it. But until then we've been trying to encourage him to take things one day at a time. I think Kolton is a perfectionist so he struggles when he feels like he's not learning things fast enough or may be letting someone down. It's in his blood to over achieve. I'm sure the time will come when that over achieving will happen but until then he'll have to give himself a break. He's human, after all.

In regards to Kolton having a hard time and feeling discouraged, plus my sucky week last week, I'd like to share a quote I came across. This quote totally lifted my spirits. It was awesome for me in my moment of ugliness.

A GREAT SAILOR DIDN'T BECOME GREAT IN CALM SEAS.

So, I guess Kolton and I (and everyone else for that matter) are bound for greatness because this life isn't calm.

Okay, I've only typed for like 10 minutes but I'm going to check out for now. I need to run to the bank.

No comments: