January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Choir Tour: THE END!

I wrote this Monday, March 21st but forgot to hit the post button. Sorry.

-----------------------

So I've been documenting my tour trip. I don't know why I decided to do this. I'm sure it's been a tad boring for you....who really cares about a choir tour?! ;)

Our bus arrived in Orem, Utah Monday at 5:15am. It was a long drive (18 hours of pure misery). Not just in distance but in other ways. People. Obnoxious laughter. Loud conversations. But it is now over. I hope to NEVER go on a choir tour again. The performances and some of the touring were really inspiring. But overall, Not happening. 32-going-on-16 was a freakin' nightmare. She was so much a nightmare that I dreamt about her last night --AFTER arriving home. Uhg. She really is a pebble in my shoe.

Anyway, here are some things I learned while on tour:

1) What is involved in poor leadership
-They left a member of choir in downtown San Fran to prove a point. I called them out on it - "that's quality leadership" - and was chastised by my professor - "Sometimes it's not about being nice. It's about respect for others" -- To keep things calm and respectful, I turned my back and held my tongue. CLEARLY the idea wasn't about being nice...or responsible...or inspiring...or about creating unity. It was about respect. Not respect for others but respect for themselves. Poor, poor leadership.
-the day after leaving a member of choir, the lame leader lost her phone and told the bus driver we couldn't leave our location until the phone was found. THEY'LL LEAVE PEOPLE BUT NOT PHONES. Pathetic.

2) College students are as immature as High Schoolers on tour.
-Obnoxious. That's all I'm going to say.

3) Cathedrals are one of my favorite places to sing. It was incredible!
-Side note: I get to sing in a Cathedral April 10th. I will be singing in The Cathedral of the Madeleine with the UVU Orchestra (I believe) and the UVU choir. I'm so excited!! (click on the red font to go on a pictorial tour). If you live in or near Salt Lake City, you should come. The program isn't too long and the music is GORGEOUS. We will be performing Handel's Dixit Dominus (the same guy who wrote the Messiah). I believe it's free too.

4) home stays are way better than hotel stays!!!
-Our home stay host was incredible. She was so kind and welcoming. I was lucky enough to room with a girl who's pretty level headed and down to earth. We got a long VERY well.

5) I think I'm done singing with any/all UVU choirs. Never again (after this semester).
-Yeah, I don't think I really need to elaborate on this. I just don't think I'm the hard-core choir type anymore.

6) There are really great people in the music program. Likewise there are some really awful people in the program. We had a good mix of 'em.

7) Buses are FrEaKy. I hate buses.
-Severe anxiety with buses since our experience in New York.

8) Five-minute-fun-breaks turn into 30 minutes of hell.
-I would have had some good use of the pellet gun, had I brought one.

9) Choir tour romance is disgusting. Especially when I have to sit behind/in front/next to the dumbo's involved. Ew. Get a life.
-desperate people. immature flirting. horrible cuddling. Uhg. Give me a break.

10) bringing too many pillows on the bus, for comfort reason's, is impossible because it is impossible to get comfortable on a bus.
-I brought three pillows and I don't regret it. I didn't have back/neck pain at all. Nearly everyone else did. Lesson to be learned: BRING MORE THAN ONE PILLOW WHEN DRIVING LONG DISTANCES ON A BUS! It's worth it, I promise.

No comments: