January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Little Friend, Berkley

and her doggy-brother, Kota. :)




I have had the wonderful opportunity to babysit my little niece, Berkley, for the past month.
I have her three days each week.

There was definitely an adjustment period for the both of us:
I didn't know what I was doing
how to read her
how to best respond to her.

And she didn't know who the heck I was
what I was doing with her
or how she could communicate best with me.

I can honestly say I think we've now figured each other out for the most part.
(Thank goodness her beautiful mommy shares helpful tips!!)
There are still some bumps in the road but overall we're getting pretty good at working together.

It has been fun getting to know this little person.
She is such a joy to have.
I bundle her up and take her on morning walks each day
(she usually takes a good long nap while we're out)



We both take naps at the same time.
(LOVE IT!!!)
And after she's had her meal I usually put her in the swing while I eat.
(which she seems to love)

I've been able to read books to her.
Sing songs to her.
Play with her.
Get to know her.

This has been especially rewarding because my brother
- her daddy -
was just offered and accepted his dream job as a life flight helicopter pilot
IN NEW MEXICO.

We are so, so happy for them!
Beyond thrilled, to be honest.
They are so deserving of this opportunity!!

And with this blessed opportunity comes the realization:
This adorable little family may be moving down to New Mexico in the next few months.
Which means I won't get to spend as much time with this little peanut.

So, I count my blessings.
I have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with her recently.
I have been fortunate enough to really get to know her -
not just as my niece but as a sweet individual.
I have been fortunate enough to create a friendship with her.
I have been fortunate enough to be in a position where I could offer help to my brother and sister-in-law.
I have simply been fortunate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:
overall, I've had the wonderful blessing to just enjoy being an Aunt
to a sweet little girl named Berkley.

No comments: