January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Some odds 'n ends

Travis has been getting J-PASSED the last few weeks. Basically what this consists of is one of the school administrators randomly sitting in one or two of his classes and evaluating his every breath. He is evaluated in his presenting of class materials/ideas, his interaction with the students, his response to questions, etc. The evaluation is a bubble sheet, as far as I understand, that the principle or vice principle fill out. That bubble sheet is then sent out to who-knows-where and the results are sent back to his school. Once the results are in, Travis gets to sit down with whoever evaluated him and go over the results. They do this to make sure teachers are actually doing their job. They also do this so teachers know what they need to improve on. As far as I'm aware Trav can't be fired for having a bad day of evaluations...unless of course he's abusive or extreme in some way. So, while it's stressful for Trav, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Last time Trav was J-PASSED his evaluations came back WAAAAAY above normal. The entire administration was blown away, so we're not worried. :) Travis is an amazing teacher.

Tomorrow Travis gets to meet with the principle (he's the one who J-PASSED him this go round) to discuss what he saw in his observation. The bubble sheet results haven't come back yet, as far as I'm aware, but when they do, he'll get to meet with the principle again. I don't think Travis minds too much because he really, REALLY likes his principle. :) What a huge blessing! We've heard some horror stories about some principles out there.

I have been busy trying to learn these two pieces for my audition Friday. One is down pretty good (the quartet piece) and the other is a little -- okay QUITE shaky. But the good news is I emailed my professor and told him where I'm at and he still encouraged me to audition. I told him it's a bit bumpy but I'll do my best and he seemed fine with it. I won't lie, I'm a little hopeful (I shouldn't be though). I'm hoping to get this solo. It's absolutely gorgeous and it would be a great opportunity for me to face my fear of being in front of people and performing. "The best way out is through". I just have to keep doing it. I'm also hopeful because in the last two weeks this same professor has told me twice that I should audition for this part. He said his encouraging didn't guarantee I'd get the part -- but hey! The guy who's making the executive decisions is encouraging ME to audition. That should count for something, right?! Maybe??

Even if I don't get the part I still stand firm in my belief that this is a great learning opportunity for me. I need to get used to auditioning because that's what's ahead of me, if I'm hoping to be a performer, anyway. Plus there are auditions at EVERY school I apply at for a master's program, so I need to take advantage of every audition I can, even if I walk away without the part every single time. Hopefully it'll only get easier each time I do it. Hopefully.

With singing on my mind, I'd like to encourage all my friends out there to really do all they can to take really care of themselves. There's a vicious bug going around and it's MeAn! If your throat is dry and sore try mixing honey, lemon or lime juice with HOT, HOT water (to taste) and drinking it slowly. It feels amaZing on your throat. It's a little concoction my vocal coach suggested. I'm madly in love with it. If you do it right, it tastes like an herbal tea or something, You know you need to add more lemon or lime juice if the honey flavor is too strong -- and vice-versa.

Also, be sure to drink as much water as possible (you'll know you're doing a great job if you're running to the restroom regularly) and sleep as much as possible. I'm not kidding -- this bug is a little bugger. :(

Well, I better stop procrastinating and get back to my beloved homework. We hope you're doing well!

Oh, we'll keep you posted on the audition as well as the results of Trav's J-PASS evaluation! Wish us both luck!!!!!

No comments: