January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A conversation worth recording

So, I've been doing a lot of listening, observing, memorizing, practicing, analyzing, and studying lately. Trav has had the great opportunity to be surrounded by the lovely sound of classical/opera music because of this (I'm being trained to sing classically, in case you didn't know..yes this includes opera as well).

So, today I had him listen to an aria (a solo in an opera) that I'm learning this semester. It's pretty intense but will be very rewarding once I have it down. After listening for a few minutes this is how our conversation went:

Trav: How high does music go, note-wise?
Me: Um, what do you mean?
Trav: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H...
Me: Oh, it goes up to G. Well, I guess technically it would be a G-sharp which is the equivalent to --
Trav: (interrupting) an H?


So, I posted this on facebook but thought it was too cute -- I had to post it on the blog as well. What a stud.

PS For those who don't know, a G-sharp (G#) is equivalent to an A-flat (Ab). They are enharmonic tones, meaning they are the same pitch with two names (G# or Ab). I could go into why the same tone has two names, but that would be a little too complex. Just trust me.

No comments: