January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Handel's Dixit Dominus

I'm going to audition for a solo for an oratorio one of the choirs is doing this semester. It's called "Dixit Dominus" by Handel (the same guy who wrote the Messiah). The pieces are pretty intense but nothing too terribly new. I've been singing songs from the Baroque period for a bit now -- only recently have I taken on a harder repertoire. I'm excited to give it a go. My only fear is timing. I thought I had a few more weeks to learn the pieces before auditioning. Nope, not the case. I found out today that auditions are this FRIDAY! Ahhhh! So, I'll go in there and do my best.

If you'd like to hear the specific pieces I'll be auditioning with go to grooveshark, naxos, or napster (if you have an account) and put in "Dixit Dominus, Handel" then select "Tecum Principium" AND "De torrente in via bibet" to listen to (WARNING! THIS IS CLASSICAL MUSIC!!!). You may find a descent recording online at youtube as well...but nothing's guaranteed with youtube. :)

You'll have to let me know what you think. I'm not certain I'll get the solo, but I figure the opportunity to audition is one I need to take full advantage of. Regardless, wish me luck!

PS For those who don't know, according to wikipedia: "An oratorio is a large musical composition including an orchestra, a choir, and soloists. Like an opera, an oratorio includes the use of a choir, soloists, an ensemble, various distinguishable characters, and arias. In an oratorio there is generally little or no interaction between the characters, and no props or elaborate costumes...the plot of an oratorio often deals with sacred topics, making it appropriate for performance in the church. "

I don't know if we'll have an orchestra or what (I'm not in this choir -- I'm just auditioning for the solo), but it's an exciting opportunity nonetheless.

No comments: