January 2013

January 2013
Our Little Family of Three

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Most Powerful Truth I've Ever Heard

"JUST BECAUSE YOU FEEL IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TRUE."

That little line has opened my eyes and freed my spirit. Just because I feel a certain way doesn't mean it's true. Despite what you may be thinking right now, I did not hear that in my Ed Psych class or my Multicultural class. No, this truth came from my wonderful therapist. When he first told me this I closed my eyes and asked him to repeat it, "Say that again." He did this three times. My soul needed to hear it. Then to hear it again. Then again.

So the next time you're feeling stuck in a rut, I encourage you to say these words out loud and REALLY analyze the situation. Is the way you feel based off of your own experiences and interpretations? Because if it is this is most definitely a truth - but it's your truth and yours alone. So what is real truth? I think real truth is when one takes on the perspective of others, not just their own, and looks at the situation from multiple stand points. Only then will a real truth be exposed.

I'm mediocre, at best, when it comes to doing this. It takes a lot of control. It's so much easier to be angry and offended. Lashing out is much easier than asking yourself, "What happened to make me feel this way? Was this the intent of the situation - to make me feel [insert emotion]?" It's really hard to take a look at things with clear eyes.

But even if you don't want to, which is completely up to you, just remember that "JUST BECAUSE YOU FEEL IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S TRUE." It may be true to you but it's not to others. Their truths are different from yours and if you're not willing to look at things from their perspective, don't expect them to do just that for you.

I know it sounds like I'm lecturing or chastising. I'm not. I'm just sharing my thoughts as I continue to try to analyze myself and the world. It's crazy stuff. But it's so exciting to know that I have the ability to gain and keep control of my emotions and thoughts. It's just a matter of conscious effort and strict persistence.

PS Everyone needs a therapist. Whether you believe it or not, it's the truth. ;)

No comments: